Don’t do what you love, do what you are, and if you don’t know who you are or what your gifts are, that is the first order of business, not getting a new job or what job to look for; it’s who are you. – Ashley Stahl
The great resignation is all over the media of late; it’s an economic trend born of the COVID pandemic in which employees (In the U.S. for our purposes) are voluntarily leaving jobs in huge numbers—starting around the end of 2020, ramping in 2021 and increasing now in 2022. Although many service sectors are hardest hit, it does bleed beyond those impacting many different industries.
So what is going on? For everyone quitting, how many more are reevaluating their work, who they work with or for, and why they do it?
What about you?
My guest is Ashley Stahl. Ashley is a former counter-terrorism professional turned career coach and bestselling author of “You Turn: Get Unstuck, Discover Your Direction, and Design Your Dream Career.”
Ashley’s helped clients in over 30 countries discover their career path and land more job offers. Her writings appear in a monthly career column in Forbes magazine, and her articles have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, Self, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, and more.
I wanted Ashley on because she is an expert in career transitions and disruptive workplace phenomena. I wanted her opinion on what is happening and, more importantly, what opportunities this opens up for people. She did not disappoint.
Note, a ton of the takeaways for me was Ashley’s great questions everyone who is reflecting on their work lives should be asking themselves. I’ve found that the best questions make you more self-aware; they shine a light on forgotten touchstones as to who you are – or better, who you are not.
Topics we covered on the show
- Insights into what is happening at the moment across industries.
- Risks and opportunities.
- Work and the burden of meaning, purpose, and passion.
- What to do before you look for a new role.
- On values.
- Better questions to ask yourself.
- When to stay, when to leave.
- The importance of mindset.
- Assessments and determining work that is right for you.
- Hard skills and how networking works today.
- How to find unadvertised roles.
Resources / Links
- Book: You Turn: Get Unstuck, Discover Your Direction, Design Your Dream Career
- Take the career personality quiz
- TED Talk, How to Figure Out what You Really Want